Herein are 7 keys to giving constructive criticism:
- Consider and care for a person’s feelings before endeavoring to criticize them.
- Acknowledge a person’s strengths and accomplishments before plunging into recognizing their weaknesses. Build them up as a person first before pointing out flaws and dangers.
- Commit to the person and their organization over the long term as they endeavor to improve and make necessary adjustments.
- Speak from the heart truthfully and graciously realizing that we all are continually growing and evolving personally and professionally.
- Allow the person whom you are correcting and providing constructive criticism to ask you any questions and comment upon that which you are saying.
- Refuse to get into an argument. Just state that which you see, feel, hear, and know.
- Thank the person for listening and honor them as a person and professional for doing so.
Read the full article here